Sunday, May 20, 2012

Grand Rapids, birthplace of Judy Garland and soooo much more!!!

This was the performance that I have had to recover from.  It was also the one that in the back of my mind, became the standard for what a great show can be.  As wonderful as every audience is in their own unique way,  the audience at the GR Library was especially attentive and with over 120 people, the energy was palpable.  As you can see, all ages attended!


The standing ovation by all hit me like a ton of bricks.



If you have never seen the GR library, it is the "mother" of all libraries with one full side of windows overlooking the Mississippi River.  This fairly large modern structure has an enormous wood cathedral ceiling that is pretty spectacular.  I had a tour of the place by Bonnie Henriksen, library volunteer extraordinaire.




As you can see in the above photos, we (i.e. Rick Carlson-keys, Josh Granowski-bass, Gary Schulte-violin and myself), were strategically place in from of the picture window nook overlooking the river.  Perhaps we were all inspired by the grandeur of the interior and exterior setting, or the perfect day, or the spirit of Judy Garland, but I think it was all due to the wonderful generous folks of GR that made it all possible!!!


I visited the Judy Garland Museum which includes her actual childhood home.  I pictured her and her family sitting in the parlor around the piano!
"Over The Rainbow" from the Wizard Of Oz, is one of the songs featured in my show so I thought I would leave you with Judy Garland in a filmed radio show for our troops during World War 2. Rarely seen footage of Garland...



No comments:

Post a Comment